Read Me

Welcome to my blog, to my confessions, as they were.

If you are under 18, please consult your parent or guardian before reading anything else here.

Parents / Guardians. I think that everything here is written in good taste. Still, I have tried to be as honest as possible - this should be a forum where I can explore subjects that are, frankly, taboo in my world. Still, I think that the subjects here are important and I hope that the semi-anonymity of the internet will facilitate conversations that simply cannot be had in person.

- Nice Jewish Girl

Monday, November 23, 2009

Tzniut and Business

Over at Emes Ve-Emunah there is a discussion about a lawsuit against B & H photo, alleging that they discriminated against women in hiring salespeople. Apparently, the argument is that hiring women would have compromised their interpretation of tzniut.

Seriously? If nothing else, this seems like a terrible business decision.

Am I the only woman who feels extremely awkward and sexualized interacting with a chareidi man? I do. No matter how conservatively I'm dressed, no matter how demure I am, I always feel sexually exposed. The very act of insisting that I dress "modestly" accentuates rather than conceals my sexuality. It separates and displays my sexuality, rather than letting it recede into the background.

I speak with men all the time - for work / school / day-to-day stuff, etc. In all of the those interactions, I feel viewed as a full person (skirt not withstanding), viewed first and foremost in whatever capacity necessitates the interaction - I am a teacher, colleague, customer, etc. Sure, to some extent or another the person I'm interacting with knows that I am more than simply my role at the moment, but it's not important to the situation, so there is no focus on it.

At a certain point, covering my body increases attention to my sexuality, rather than on my whole self.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had my hopes up when I clicked to this site, but unfortunately don't see much. You write well, and I hope that your blog will be informative, if not titillating.

Expatriate Owl said...

For whatever it may be worth: Once upon a time, when I was taking an art class, the totally nude female model we were sketching elicited far, far less of a sexual interest from me than did the female students who were wearing their clothes. This included a woman who normally wore ankle-length dresses.

I certainly did not view the model as a sex object -- I viewed her as a problem to be solved, i.e., I would be graded on how well I sketched her -- just as I was graded on how well I sketched that bowl of fruit during the previous week's class.

Nice Jewish Girl said...

Anonymous - I'm flattered! Please do come back; I will be posting more, and more frequently. I started the blog a while ago as a project, then started writing it as a private diary (perhaps some of that will go up later), but I'm inspired to go back to blogging for now.

Nice Jewish Girl said...

Owl - thank goodness. I've got no artistic talent, so I haven't pursued such classes but I've often wondered what sketching a nude is like. That also confirms a theory I've had about clothes - to some extent, they create something hidden to wonder about.

lawschooler said...

would love to read more on these issues pls continue posting

Nice Jewish Girl said...

Lawschooler - Thanks!. Let me know your thoughts as well.

typicaljewess said...

Actually, in the chareidi world, I believe it is deemed inappropriate if a girl wears an extremely long skirt - because it leads one to imagine what is hidden underneath.